Our staff will work with you directly to create a customized treatment plan specifically for your condition. Treatment goals and objectives will be discussed at length and you will work collaboratively to determine appropriate treatment options.
Full-service Physiotherapy Services
Markham Lymphatic Centre provides a complete range of comprehensive therapeutic services in the comfort of our new clinic location in Markham. Treatments are provided on an individual basis with full attention of the physiotherapist. Conveniently serving York Region and surrounding areas, this physiotherapy service provides a customized treatment plan specific to your needs.
Conditions that would benefit from physiotherapy include:
- Rehabilitation after joint replacement, including shoulder, hip, and knee replacements
- Sports injuries
- Conditions resulting in swelling/pain
- Neurological conditions, including but not limited to stroke rehabilitation
- Cardiorespiratory conditions, including but not limited to fibrosis, COPD, pneumonia
- Manual lymph drainage (MLD) – also known as lymphatic drainage
- Combined decongestive therapy (CDT)
- Exercise therapy
- “Hands-on” manual therapy
- Muscle imbalance correction
- Postural correction / ergonomic education
- Taping techniques
- Education on your condition
Our staff are also registered authorizers for the Assistive Devices Program (ADP) through the Ontario Ministry of Health and Long-Term Care. Through this program, our staff are able to assess for mobility aids, including walkers and wheelchairs.
We Treat Lymphedema with Complete Decongestive Therapy and Manual Lymphatic Drainage
Complete Decongestive Therapy (CDT) is a comprehensive treatment program for lymphedema patients, and is sometimes considered the gold standard for treating lymphedema. CDT includes the following components:
- Manual Lymphatic Drainage (MLD)
- Bandaging/compression garments
- Patient eduction, including self-care and management
One of the most effective methods of treating lymphedema is the use of a technique known as Manual Lymphatic Drainage. Manual Lymphatic Drainage (or MLD) is a gentle type of therapy typically used to drain excess fluid buildup from the body and improve the overall functioning of the lymphatic and immune system. MLD is most commonly used in the treatment of lymphedema.
The massage used is a specific massage technique and is applied gently in the direction of the flow of lymphatic fluid through the lymphatic system, allowing excess fluid to be transported as waste from the body. The MLD massage is applied as a light form of circular massage to the patient’s skin, and no massage lotions or oils are used in order for the therapy to be effective. The technique encourages skin stretch and stimulates the lymph vessels to increase movement of lymphatic fluid through the body.
MLD massage should only be applied by a therapist who is trained and specialized in the technique. All of the staff at Markham Lymphatic Centre has extensive experience with the technique and are certified through a number of different training programs.